Civil Litigation Lawyer Langley - When a business enterprise encounters financial issues, among the most essential things you can do is choose the correct group to help you navigate the process. bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies could be among the most challenging of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of knowledge so as to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide representation and suggestion, leading to strategic, timely and effective solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises within industries like airline, automotive, biomedical, entertainment, communications, construction, funeral, financial services, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, marketing, steel, mining, technology, natural resources, real estate and retail. Our lawyers can help you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive skill with multi-national and domestic business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation within Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; then again, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require people involved in cross-border proceedings to be well-informed regarding both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest restructurings and insolvencies under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the needed professionals may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results that are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the experience of our skilled members across our worldwide firms in the numerous legal areas dealing with business reorganizations. Our firm has experts in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, private and public equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our group provides experienced litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders comprise the following:
1. We advise financially challenged businesses on restructuring alternatives and options including initiating and directing formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of public and private corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, agents to and members operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indenture trustees, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. We advise ad-hoc and formal creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring procedures.
5. We can assist the numerous secured creditors in the insolvency proceedings, regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights.
6. We can help trustees through liquidators, bankruptcy, receivers, monitors, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures. What's more, we can make proposals under the BIA, including receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency proceedings and realizations.
8. We advise purchasers acquiring businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We assist investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. In the context of insolvency, business restructuring and bankruptcy cases, we offer counsel on a wide range of litigation matters.
11.We defend and prosecute litigating actions and preference actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and obtaining urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like for example injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf